Thursday, May 17, 2007

Boilin' with Bees!


Just a quick little post to let you know that on checking the hives today after work, there must have been a thousand bees flying around the entrances to the two hives. It wasn't a swarm situation. Rather, the mob, which looked a lot like the entrance to the Metro after a sporting event, seemed to be engaged in bringing in pollen and nectar or orienting on the hives. Being a warm day, there were probably a number of them who were just cooling off on the front porch . The second hive, though fewer in number, were engaged in the same way, and so I'm hoping they are going to be fine. I'll be inspecting them on Sunday or Monday. I'm on vacation next week, working around the house, so there'll be plenty of time to do some bee watching. Who knows, maybe even add to the ol' bee sting tote board.
* I added this image on 5/21 because I thought it was pretty cool. During one of my inspections of the Georgia girls, I cut off some burr comb and left nectar all over the middle of this frame. The bees are furiously sucking up the gooey mess. Click on the image to supersize it!

Total stings...holding at 6

No comments: